This Saturday, July 29th, True Star is holding its third annual From The ‘Go Fest. This year’s hosts, for the second year in a row, are “The Chi” actress and BET award nominee Genesis Denise Hale and content creator Danny Barksdale, aka Danny B. Check out these 10 reasons why they think you need to be at the fest.
Genesis’ 5 Reasons:
1. It’s a place you can actually be that won’t end up on the news in a negative way. In many cases, you hear about Chicago kids always being somewhere they’re not supposed to be or doing something insane or obnoxious. This is not one of those places. From The ‘Go is simply a festival outlet that focuses on giving people a platform.
2. You might find your new favorite artist. Because from the go shows so much love to the up-and-coming and local artist collective, it’s almost impossible to not hear someone or find something new that you’ll grow to love.
3. It’s FREE.99
4. There will be six hours for you to spend with people who love you and just wanna have fun. True Star overall is for the youth. The amount of time and effort they put into making sure there is a space for the newer generations to come and freely express themselves, and get loved on by people who have no other intention but to see them be better, is unlike any other organization I’ve experienced.
5. Who doesn’t love a festival?
Danny B’s 5 Reasons
1. Firstly, BECAUSE I’M HOSTING DUHHHHHHH and it’s FREE!
2. There is a lot of dope underground talent in the city of Chicago that goes overlooked or is very underrated. The From the ‘Go Fest gives those certain individuals who have a hungry passion for this game a chance to perform and share their amazing talents with everyone. Trust me, it’s something you don’t want to miss. These people are some of the best I’ve heard and seen! Also did I mention it was FREE?
3. The vibes of this fest are IMMACULATE, okaaay! Not only do artists perform, you get to meet these people face-to-face and connect with different vendors that may be set up, visit all the food trucks, play games, dance, and really just vibe out with whomever you choose to bring. Excuse me if I’ve said this once or twice before but, THE FEST IS FREE!!!!!
4. It’s an amazing first-hand experience for anyone who has never been to a festival before, and you never know who just may happen to come through. I’ve seen celebrities do pop-ups at this fest, different types of media outlets, and just a lot of connections that may help you become Chicago’s next star!
5. Last but not least, it’s FREE, guys! Like c’mon, who wouldn’t come out to have a fun time in the city on a bright sun-shiny day. A day of positive distraction for our youth, a day of celebration, a dope day for the city of CHICAGOOOOO!
Make sure to follow @True.Chi and @fromthegofest to get updates. You can reserve your spot for free here. Come for the culture, stay for the community.
I’ll be at the go fest, will you?
By Amariyah Mallory, Sophomore, Whitney Young
True Star Media’s content is made possible thanks to donors like you. To support the voice and perspective of your youth, donate at truestarmedia.org/donate.